Chemistry students in a Lab working with test tubes and collaborating with instructor

Your Transfer Journey

Unlock Your Potential

At San Juan College, we believe the best time to start thinking about your upward transfer possibilities is now! Whether you are a prospective student or already enrolled, we are here to help you every step of the way. Let us show you how earning an associate degree here can help you transfer to a 4-year school of your choice and find the career of your dreams.

What is Upward Transfer?

Upward transfer refers to the process of starting your college career at a community college and then moving to a 4-year college or university. There you will graduate with a bachelor's degree.

During your time at a community college like San Juan College, you will take courses in the program you are interested in. After you have passed the required number of classes and earned your associate degree, you will be eligible to transfer to a 4-year school. Once you have applied and been accepted, your course credits will transfer to your new college or university. Then you will complete upper-division courses in your program to earn your bachelor's degree.

Why Start Your Transfer at San Juan College?

Certain jobs and positions require applicants to hold bachelor's degrees. By transferring from San Juan College to a 4-year college or university, you will have access to better job opportunities. In addition, data shows that workers who have a higher level of education typically earn more than workers with less education. See graph below, 2020 Earning Increases by Educational Attainment.

Starting here before transferring, has more benefits as well. You will take the same challenging courses at San Juan College as you would at a 4-year college, but have lower tuition rates. You will also benefit from smaller class sizes and the ability to take classes closer to home.

In fact, your community college class credits will fulfill many bachelor's degree requirements. Many transfer students begin as a junior at their new school, meaning you can earn your bachelor's degree in two more years.

San Juan College is a perfect starting point for many students on the path to earning a bachelor's degree. We value our community and strive to be a diverse and welcoming campus. San Juan College has many university-type support services on our local campus, from our Tutoring Center, Native American Center, Herencia Latina Center, and more.

In addition, San Juan College has relationships with partner institutions to make the transfer process easier for you. We do this by maintaining transfer agreements with many 4-year schools. These colleges and universities articulate (or map out) the best program paths to follow and classes to take when considering a transfer to their institution. How many credits a university might accept varies from school to school, but by working with an advisor, you can stay on track to meet the requirements for your target school!

Some of these partner institutions even offer scholarships to transfer students, making your time spent at San Juan College even more valuable. No matter what your interests, San Juan College advisors will ensure that you stay on the right path and help maximize the credits you earn to your transfer school.

San Juan College also offers on-campus student housing for full-time students. Living on campus means you'll be closer to your classes and resources like the library. You'll have the support you need for your transfer journey, including a community of friends who live next door. Try the residential college life even before you transfer.

2020 Earnings Increases by Educational Attainment
2020 Earning Increases by Educational Attainment.

What are the Steps to Transfer?

Current Students

If you are considering upward transfer to a 4-year school, you should first meet with your academic advisor. They will be able to guide you—from choosing what courses to take to helping you think about what type of 4-year school is the best fit for you!

Next, you should research your potential school options. You may want to visit their campuses or connect with their university representatives. This will help you get a feel for the school.

Keep an eye open for transfer visits and our annual transfer fair. Representatives of 4-year schools visit San Juan College to meet students like you. You can ask them questions about your future major or school life.

When you are ready, you will apply for transfer admission to the schools of your choice. After you are accepted and enrolled, your 4-year school will match you with a transfer advisor, who will help you transition into your new school.

During the entire transfer process, San Juan College advisors and staff will support you. You will not have to take this journey alone. We are here to walk with you through every step of the way.

Make an Appointment with Advising

Prospective Students

We encourage you to explore San Juan College's degree programs to see which ones interest you and are transferrable. You should also look at our transfer agreements listed below to see which schools make it easy for you to transfer your credits.

During your application process, be sure to connect with an admissions advisor. They will be able to give you the most up-to-date information about current degree programs and how they will transfer to your next school.

Once you are admitted, you can schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. They will make sure you stay on track during your time at San Juan College and help you with the transfer application process.

The Transfer Process

Transfer Agreements

San Juan College has multiple transfer agreements with partner institutions. They will help you plan your educational path from San Juan College to your 4-year college or university.

These transfer agreements (also called articulation agreements) outline specific classes to take to fulfill a program. When you follow an articulation agreement, your class credits will transfer to your new institution. Articulation agreements for specific institutions are available upon request through the Advising and Transfer Center.

In addition, San Juan College has adopted the state-wide common course numbering system, making transfers within New Mexico smoother. A few examples of colleges that also use the common course numbering system include the University of New Mexico, New Mexico State University, and New Mexico Highlands University. New Mexico colleges and universities using the common course numbering system have the same course number, title, description, and learning outcomes for equivalent classes. As a result, these common numbered courses are guaranteed to transfer. For students seeking specific details about course transferability within New Mexico, additional information can be found on the New Mexico Higher Education Department webpage.

We will work with you to make sure you will not have to repeat any courses, saving you time and money. We want you to make the most of your well-earned credits!

We have specific agreements with the following schools:

* If you need assistance accessing and/or reading these documents, please contact accessibility services at or (505) 566-3271.

Exterior shot of the San Juan College Library

Contact Us 
Phone: (505) 566-3404

Educational Services Building
Room 4106

M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.